Legal 500 2018 edition - Sarah Taite – Westgate Chambers ‘A tough advocate with a compassionate client manner.’
‘Sarah was great. She played it very tactfully and demonstrated not
only experience in her field but her personal and communication skills
were very evident. I would be happy to utilise her
services in the future.’ Housing Officer
‘Really impressed with Sarah’s effort on our case. As always Sarah Taite was excellent and threw heart and soul into it.’ - Jennifer Lynch, Brighton and Hove Law
With a qualification and background in Mental Health nursing prior to being called to the Bar, Sarah is adept at sensitively handling people, including those with mental heath, social or communication difficulties. She is extremely approachable with a particular skill in dealing with vulnerable clients and their families and gives advice, representation and guidance throughout all stages of the court proceedings.
Sarah has a mixed practice, which includes crime and Children Act work.
She regularly appears in the criminal court predominately representing Defendants. She also represents probation, the child support agency, the environment agency and HMRC.
In the family court Sarah regularly represents parents, Grandparents, other relatives and Guardians (children) in all aspects of applications including Care and Supervision orders, Adoption, Special Guardianship and Family Assistance Orders.
Sarah is regularly instructed to give written advice.
- BA (Hons) first class
- BVC (very competent)
- DipHE (mental health)
- South Eastern Circuit
- Sussex Bar Mess
- R v CE – death by Careless Driving
- R v SN – child cruelty (suspected NAI of very young baby with multiple fractures)
- R v BG – s18 GBH
- R v JE – affray
- R v ES – Led junior counsel –defendant charged with murder of her father; successfully argued and found not guilty by reason of Insanity
- R v MS – Leading counsel - represented youth who alongside multiple adult defendants, was charged with multiple counts of rape and grooming. The Crown were forced to offer no evidence after 6 weeks of evidence at trial.
- R v RS – represented defendant charged with rape and multiple counts of sexual offences. Not guilty verdicts
- R v VP – successfully represented youth in appeal of rape
- R v PS – successfully represented defendant on one charge of rape
- R v JC – successfully represented defendant charged with child cruelty
- R v DS – successfully represented defendant charged with multiple
counts of indecent images. Following legal arguments the Crown
offered no evidence.
- R v ES – represented defendant charged with two counts of rape against
- R v TS – successfully represented defendant charged with historical
- R v LR – successfully represented defendant charged with sexual
assault of female stranger at a train station
- R v DP – successfully represented defendant charged with controlling
and coercive behaviour and witness intimidation against his wife
- R v GO – represented defendant charged with possession with intent to
supply class A drugs
- R v LP – successfully represented defendant charged with Arson with
intent to endanger life and arson reckless as to life endangerment.
Recent and Current cases
- Successfully argued final hearing to be re-heard resulting in the Care Order being discharged and the child returning home
- Application to dismiss Care Orders
- Final hearing after findings made of NAI of baby with serious injuries including fractured skull and multiple bone fractures
- Suspected NAI of baby with fractured skull
In family law Sarah has represented clients with issues including:
- Contested Final hearings
- Complex Fact-Finding hearings
- All aspects of public law proceedings includings ICO/ISO/EPO applications
- Suspected Non-Accidental Injury
- Sexual/Physical abuse
- Chronic Neglect
- Allegations of concern of Honor-based violence
- Cases involving the Official Solicitor/SGO/Grandparents