Nicola joined chambers as a pupil in October 2022 and is building experience in all of chambers’ practice areas.
Nicola lived in Scotland for ten years, prior to her move back to the south coast of England in 2019, when she undertook further studies to convert to a career as a barrister. She now joins Westgate Chambers as a pupil.
Previously, Nicola worked with children, families and vulnerable people; both as a qualified teacher and within the third sector. As well as experience of the education system, Nicola has supported people through issues such as divorce and separation, adoption and care processes, immigration and asylum, sexual abuse, financial abuse, addiction, domestic abuse, and extreme social deprivation.
Additionally, through her third sector work, Nicola gained an insight into project management, project evaluation, policy writing, risk management, employment issues, funding and an understanding of trusts, trustee responsibilities and insolvency.
Prior to pupillage, Nicola’s previous role was as a County Court Advocate. Nicola worked under the supervision of her instructing solicitor and attended civil hearings heard in chambers in the County Courts across Dorset and Hampshire (including the Isle of Wight). Such hearings included infant settlement claims, return of goods, landlord and tenant possessions, mortgage possessions, applications for summary judgment or applications to set-aside judgment.
In her spare time, Nicola enjoys being a positive influence in the community and her previous volunteer roles have included being a community councillor, committee member (of various committees), Beaver Scouts leader, and most recently, Citizens Advice advisor.
Achievements, appointments and memberships
- BSc (Hons) – Psychology and Marketing
- PGCE – Key Stage 1 and 2 – Dorset Teacher Training Partnership/Kingston University
- LLB (Scots Law) -Distinction – Robert Gordon University
- MA Law (English) – Distinction – University of Law
- Career Changer Scholarship – University of Law
- BPC – Very Competent – University of Law
- The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Winner of the Inter-Inn Moot Final 2022
- Winner of the University of Law Commercial Awareness Competition 2021
- Winner of the RBS Entrepreneur Pitching Competition 2018
- Finalist at the RGU Mooting Competition at the Supreme Court 2016
Year of Call: 2022
Core Practice Areas: